Covid-19 Lockdown, A Rural Diary - Days 12-17

The end of the second week of Lockdown was not what was scheduled in my diary: I had a choral concert to perform on the Friday night and then we were off to Conwy for a 50th birthday weekend. Instead, in this parallel universe, it was a very simple weekend of cooking, walking, art, telephone catch-ups, the virtual Grand National, work and gardening. I have refused to rub out all the appointments and plans which were in my paper diary - I want to keep them as a reminder of what should have been happening. The best laid plans gang aft astray....(to misquote Robbie Burns). G should have been skiing all of the previous week with university, and as she returned so E should have been departing on hers. It seems madness now that such things were even a possibility. How strange the human mind is.

Despite writing it in my diary, I failed to pay my Barclaycard bill on the Monday. I'm hoping they may let me off the fee for late payment but they probably won't. I had my 'virtual coffee morning' on WhatsApp with friends. I did my 'virtual choir practice' on the Tuesday evening. I decided to turn the camera off this time. They really don't need to see me and I certainly don't need to see myself. I spoke to relatives, I sent birthday cards, I gave G some Reike, I did some spiritual dowsing on a friend's house, I investigated my past lives (as you do), and I cleansed and charged my crystals in the light of the full moon and sent Easter cards to family. E and G both did the 5k run challenge for charity and clocked up excellent times (26 mins and 19 mins respectively - bar the odd few seconds). Thank the Lord no-one challenged me to do it (though G's ex apparently threatened to!). I'd still be running.

And then, on the Thursday night, we got a phone call to say that N's aunt - who had been taken into hospital the previous Saturday - would probably not make it through the night. The mood suddenly became very sober as The Virus stretched its invisible tentacles into our family's cage and started to tighten its grip...



Comments

kestrel said…
Covid-19 has changed our life style. Hello, I am Kestrel from Malaysia. We are in the 40th day of lock down, only allowed to go out for grocery runs in a 10 km radius. You are still keeping busy. I resurrected my blog during this lock down and that's the best thing I did. Visit me at jom colour me in google. What is it like over at your area? Can you at least go for walks? We are only allowed one person in a car for grocery runs!!
Carah Boden said…
Hello Kestrel, and welcome to the UK! It sounds like the timing of your Lockdown in Malaysia is very similar to ours. We are currently on Day 38 (I started counting from the first full day after our Government announced a Lockdown which was at 8.30pm on Monday 23rd March - so I take Tuesday 24th as the first full and proper day of our Lockdown).

We are meant to stay at home unless we are 'key workers' (health services, public services etc) and we are meant to stay very local to shop and to exercise straight from our homes rather than driving anywhere. These rules were not observed very well at the beginning (we started with suggested self-isolation but we were very bad at that as a nation, so they had to impose Lockdown like other nations). People finally understood the need to stay at home and to go out only for essential food and exercise. I'm afraid the British are very independent-spirited! We've learnt the hard way how important it is to obey the rules in these times of pandemic.

We are meant to go grocery shopping by ourselves or with one other person if really necessary. If you are over 70 you are meant to stay home - and not go out even for shopping but to let others do that for you or get deliveries. However, a lot of over 70s are of a different mentality and it is hard to get them to stay home!

I have a friend who lives in France and over there they have to fill in a form every time they go out to say where they are going and for what reason (food and exercise are all that is allowed). There is also a restriction on how far they can travel. She lives near the sea but all the beaches have been closed.

I am so lucky where I live to have such wonderful countryside right on my doorstep and lots of space inside and out. It helps keep my family sane! We are essentially 5 independent adults all trying to live together - but we are all coping very well and I'm proud of my girls for that.

I'm so glad you started writing your blog again - I think it really helps to keep a record of these times and it is a great creative outlet as well. I popped over to take a look and I was so happy that you connected with me - it was lovely to see glimpses of your life, so far away, but with so many similar issues! (like shut pubs and baking cakes!!).

Stay safe and well and come and visit again. :-)

Most Popular