So did it rain, then?

Blimey, is it summer elsewhere in the world? Certainly not here again. Yes, you guessed it, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN. I went to get my snow tyres taken off last week. I’m wondering why...

So, was it sunny for the famous party? Well…..erm, no. Oh, c’mon, whaddya expect?! BUT, I can reveal that, given the weather we’d had before and the weather we’ve had since (i.e crap) it is a minor miracle that it didn’t rain. It was even vaguely warm (don’t get excited, now, I said ‘vaguely’). Let’s say it was warm enough for the kids to arrive, rush around like flies on speed and get sufficiently hot and bothered to demand the water slide be unravelled and pegged out so they could don their cozzies and throw themselves on to it with the sort of gay abandon that only a bunch of party-crazed children can do.

So, dear reader, I think we can conclude that it was a success. And that we were very lucky. It was mainly grey, with the odd burst of sunshine to give the merest hint that it was actually high summer. There were a few spots of rain which meant a sudden burst of activity from the adults to erect the borrowed gazebo – and, of course, like umbrellas, the moment it was up, the rain stopped. Fair enough. It was a good preventative at least.

The main thing was, they were able to charge around the garden, not my house. Phew. Everyone got wet and grubby. Great! That’s what kids should do.

I had suggested to Mein Fuhrer (aka N) that we put signs up in the village to direct people to the right place. ‘Nah,’ he says with utter confidence and in that ‘Don’t even THINK about it!’ sort of way that he does. Waste o’time. My instincts told me otherwise and, inevitably, everyone’s posh SatNavs sent them up to some long-suffering farmer who, at least, was faintly amused to see all these smart Cheshire 4x4’s actually being put to some proper use on the devilishly rutted farm track. Of course Muggins here not only had to bow and scrape apologies to the hot and bothered parents (having to take your kid to a party on a Sunday is bad enough without getting lost, arriving late and trashing your vehicle for good measure) but then had to make a special phonecall to the farmer the next day to apologise for ruining his Day of Rest too. Sigh.

PS: why do I listen to my husband? Answers on a postcard please…

Comments

Cat said…
I bet all of the guests slept well that night afer such an adventure. I've stopped listening to my other half's advise on directions and parties. We've had more cool weather here than normal. Noone has even went swimming in the pool. Not enough warm days to take the chill off of it.
The bike shed said…
I'm pleased the party went off as well as could be expected. We've had sports day rained off; BBQ's rained off and even end of term trips rained off.

But hey, it's going to get better next week, they say.

I keep watching the Tour de France - it passed through Grand Bornand yesterday where for a number of years we spent the summer - not a cloud! Grrrrr...
Glad it didn't really rain. And yes, why do we listen to our husbands in this sort of situation? Mine always sounds so utterly certain in his judgement that I fall for it every time. We are planning a big barbecue for the August bank holiday weekend. Please say it will be warm by then!
Friko said…
I'm not quite sure which of your blogs to dip into first, but as this one had the latest post, here I am.
I take it this was a kid's party? Glad it went went well. And who on Earth said you had to listen to the male of the species? Mind you, he doesn't listen to me either and still we get on extremely well.

Shropshire is another beautiful county, with gorgeous scenery; but does it rain? Oh yes, it does.
Maggie Christie said…
Hurrah! I'm glad it was a success. Many lessons in this blog: 1, If it's July, children will behave as if it is high summer unless it is actually windy/rainy enough to blow them away; 2, sat navs don't EVER work in rural areas. They were programmed by comedians; 3, Never listen to husbands, especially on the subject of 'directions'. Are you glad it's all over? Until next year...
Calico Kate said…
I think we all do - and regret it!! Sometimes they listen to us, if not at first and once 'it' has gone wrong then they do!

Sounds like a jolly day and good of the rain to mostly stay away.
CKx
Kimberly said…
Sorry, I read this days ago and then got distracted forgot to leave my comment saying I just love how your write! And, I'm glad the party went well. :)

Most Popular