Hockey Mom

Can anyone explain how someone as seemingly vacuous as Sarah Palin could be on the brink of being Vice President of one of the most powerful and (sometimes unfortunately) influential nations in the world? Now don’t get me wrong – I’m not remotely against hockey moms, let alone working hockey moms (if that’s not an oxymoron?) and, boy, she’s one helluva working hockey mom but….Let’s just say she doesn’t seem quite ready for the job.

Talking of Hockey Moms, I found myself a Running Mom yesterday afternoon, and a very proud one at that. G was competing in her first cross country race at school (she’s not currently in the afterschool running club because it’s on Brownies night – don’t get N on THAT subject) having got selected out of games lessons. N, a bit handy in his youth at the old cross country (Muggins here obviously didn’t go to the right schools as I never even got the CHANCE to prove my no doubt prodigious skills in track and field, ahem), had offered up worldy wise tips of how to surge to the front at the beginning, then calm down a bit, then start pushing forward again about two thirds of the way round (sounds like a good life plan too, if you ask me) before he then rushed off to catch an early train to London. I was, of course, late and missed the start (don’t blame me! – I was fighting against a tidal wave of departing mothers and traffic at the school gates where I had to collect E as well as first having had to pick up L from 13 miles away, huff puff). When we got there they were at the far side of the playing fields and it was impossible to make out anyone. As the mob came closer I was peering somewhere near the back for G’s blond head. Then the front runner came by, looking invincible, and I was completely amazed to spot that blond head steaming along in 8th place with a huge great grin on her face and mud all up her back. Wow! A lump of pride came to my throat instantly and I could barely choke out words of encouragement. E told me off for using her nickname. We dived under the hedge to see them come round into the adjacent field and as the winning line approached G spurted past the girl in front of her and just couldn’t quite make it past the next (apparently, G told me later, she stuck her elbow out, little cow). So there it was – 7th place out of 63 and never run a race like that in her life before! Yes, I was very, very proud. That girl has a huge heart, in all senses of the world, and fantastic determination. You can’t say better than that.

I was sad N hadn’t been there to see it. G asked specifically if she could tell Daddy herself. I said ‘Of course’. I was much sadder that he didn’t get home till 10.30pm when I thought he was due home at 8. It had to wait till the morning, but it wasn’t quite the same. Will he ever understand how much he is missing out on? I fear not.

9th October 2008

PS: I've just found this video link re Sarah Palin. I think it says it all!

PPS: And this...!!

Comments

Elizabethd said…
Poor Sarah, she's very glamorous but not much else!
Faith said…
Well done to your daughter. Don't you feel so proud when your kids do well!

(NB - sorry wrong guess on my blog)
Milla said…
fantastic clips, HerOn, in a NO NO NO head shaking so much it hurts kind of way. "A 72 year old's heartbeat away from being President" is scary.
(and well done to daughter, Fins came in at about 54 out of 80. Doesn't seem to mind, luckily.)
Well done your daughter! I wish I could engage in a spot of that in a bid to get fitter. Am technoluddite so cannot view S.P. clips but I can imagine them...enough said!
Frances said…
Hello from New York.

I cannot possibly tell you how much Palin's nomination and performances scare the daylights out of me.

It gets worse. I recently spoke with my mom, who lives in a suburbia far from NYC. She is quite a fan of Sarah, and our conversation quickly devolved to the level we'd not experienced since the days of VietNam war and R. Nixon.

I am so worried that there might be enough others across this country to elect this woman. Just very, very frightened.

xo
Cait O'Connor said…
Yes those Sarah Palin clips are haunting me, the real and the spoofs. Pray God for Obama, one and all.
Fred said…
Congratulations to G. I understand her daddy's predicament. I used to live in Gerrards Cross and many evenings I was late starting with a tube ride from Oxford Circus to Marylebone.

Thanks for stopping by today.
I am so with you on Sarah Palin. How can it be allowed to happen? The woman knows nothing.
and congratulations to the runner! It is tricky isn't it? If he truly knew what he was missing he might not be able to go and then what would you all do?
I always found myself particularly proud at seeing my kids excel in ways which I simply couldn't, running being one of them!
Yep! Those Palin (Sarah) comments are mighty scary!!!

Most Popular