Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Things that Go Croak in the Cellar

I went down to the cellar yesterday morning to find these three little poppets waiting for me when I opened the door. They stood stock still. A minute sibling was crushed and dessicated nearby. I scooped them up and took them outside, one by one, and put them on the edge of the stone trough by the spring.

Hard to spot, aren't they?


I tried another angle:


And another to let the boys at the back be seen:


The toad watch signs are currently out on the lane out of our village as it passes the reservoir. This is a popular crossing point for toads on their way from breeding ground to water's edge. For more information on the migration of toads, you may want to have a look at this site:-
http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/toads2.htm

I'm now just trying to figure out what they are doing in my cellar. And that's not even where I keep the wine...

10 comments:

Pondside said...

Tree frogs, rough skinned newts - they're all on the move over here. Signs are posted and everyone takes care as the little critters make it from a pond on one side of the road to one on the other. Why not stay in the same pond?

elizabethm said...

I had a pond full of frogs spawn earlier this year, then full of tadpoles, but now apparently no frogs. Having seen how stunningly well your toads are camoflaged I am wondering whether I have just failed to spot them!

Preseli Mags said...

Adorable creatures! I love toads and frogs too. Sadly I see so many corpses on one particular stretch of road round here. I suppose some of them must make it though. Lovely to see those three.

Working Mum said...

I would have run screaming from the cellar, having a big frog/toad phobia!!

HER ON THE HILL said...

Hello everyone and thank you for your comments. I haven't seen the little fellas since so I hope they're safe and sound somewhere...

Val said...

I love toads and frogs.

We moved from London to Wales a few years ago. We had a tiny pocket hanky sized garden in London and managed to have some large toads there. Here, we have frogs... and since our fish were eaten a couple of years ago, by an Otter, we now have an absolutely huge number of tadpoles! There were over 100 frogs courting this spring...!

iNdi@ said...

lovely toadies!

jahe sehat alami said...

Hai, Salam kenal. Saya ingin menjadi sahabatmu. Saya tinggal di Indonesia.

Tadonku said...

yHello,

I like that toad, Is it Venomous, I mean the toad skins?

Anonymous said...

nbgtsnbv10, does vimax work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...